Cooktop Cove: Watch how to make creamy chicken and dumplings soup
Chicken and dumplings are a perfect dish for a cool day, or whenever the mood strikes. This simple recipe provides a faster, tasty alternative to traditional recipes cooked on the stove top. This dish was considered a southern luxury dish, according to Serious Eats
with early recipes dating back to the early 1900s. Fortunately, this luxury eat is easy to make and budget friendly!
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 7 hours, 30 min
2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1/2 cup onion, chopped (about 1/2 medium onion)
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup carrot, grated
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
14 oz chicken broth
20-oz condensed cream of chicken soup (2 cans)
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk (can be substituted with water)
(alternatively, canned biscuit dough can be used)
1. Add all soup ingredients to 6-quart slow cooker and mix well.
2. Cook on low for 7 hours.
3. Shred the chicken with two forks in the slow cooker.
4. Drop spoonfuls of biscuit batter (see below) into the soup. If using canned dough, cut into smaller pieces and drop into the soup.
6. Replace lid slightly tilted so it is not fully closed.
5. Set slow cooker to high and cook for another 30 min, or until dumplings are cooked through.
1. Mix all dry ingredients.
2. Slowly add warm liquid (milk or water) until the mixture has a doughy consistency that can be dropped with a spoon.
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove