Cooktop Cove: Watch how to make chicken rice casserole in a slow cooker
Take a look at the yummy recipe for the chicken & rice casserole below!
Chicken & rice casserole
2 pounds chicken thighs, bone in, skin off
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, small dice
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups minute rice
1 can diced canned tomatoes, drained
2 cups frozen peas (optional)
2 cups water
2 teaspoons salt
Black pepper to taste
1 bay leaf
1. Season both sides of chicken with cumin, coriander, salt and pepper then set aside.
2. Put a large sauté pan on high heat and add in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Just as the oil begins to smoke, add in chicken thighs with the bone facing up. Don't overcrowd the pan as this may steam the chicken rather than browning. Turn down the heat as needed, building the color slowly for more flavor. Once chicken is nice and brown, be sure to turn it over and brown on the other side. Set aside browned chicken.
3. In a 6-quart slow cooker, add in minute rice and the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Mix well.
4. Add in onion, garlic, tomatoes, peas, bay leaf and chicken stock. Stir.
5. Place chicken on top, pressing it slightly into the rice. Cook for 2 hours on high or until chicken is fully cooked.
5. Serve and enjoy!
Like this recipe? Please share it with your friends on Facebook!
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove