Cooktop Cove: Watch how to make twice-baked vegan potato skins
Game day snacks are their own culinary specialty; usually hearty finger foods full of flavor. These vegan twice-baked potatoes are very filling and definitely score big for flavor!
Be sure to watch the video below to see That Vegan Couple guide you through their version of this recipe. You will note that they use plenty of paprika and have added soy sauce for salt. Game on!
Twice-baked vegan potato skins
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1/2 cup chopped spinach
1/2 cup corn (canned, frozen or freshly cooked)
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
6 russet potatoes, medium to large
1. Wash and bake the potatoes on a baking sheet for an hour at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (204.4 degrees Celsius).
2. While potatoes are baking, combine the other vegetables (bell pepper, onion, spinach, corn) in a small bowl.
3. When potatoes have finished baking, allow to cool for a few moments, then slice in half longways. Scoop out most of the potato flesh, leaving enough clinging to the skin to ensure the potato doesn't lose its shape. Put the scooped-out potato flesh into a large bowl.
4. Set the oven on pre-heat to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (218.3 degrees Celsius).
5. Add the nutritional yeast, BBQ sauce, black pepper, and one teaspoon of the paprika to the potato flesh; mix thoroughly.
6. Add the vegetables to the potato mixture; stir.
7. Fill the potato skins with the mixture and top with the remaining teaspoon of paprika.
8. Put the filled potato skins on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
Feel free to change the flavors to suit your taste, as That Vegan Couple did. Try adding soy sauce or sriracha instead of (or in addition to) the BBQ sauce -- don't forget to set some aside for dipping!
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove