Cooktop Cove: Pack ground meat into a foil-wrapped bowl, and enjoy this ultimate comfort meal
Spaghetti and meatballs are a crowd favorite when dinnertime rolls around, but we know even the most delicious meal can become lackluster if you eat it too many times in a row. Rather than remove this tasty dish from your dinner rotation altogether, we've found an ingenious way to shake this recipe up.
Instead of serving spaghetti and meatballs in the traditional manner, revamp this classic by creating a massive meatball stuffed with pasta and sauce. Not only is this delicacy delicious, but the moment when you slice the meatball and dramatically reveal what's inside is sure to be memorable.
Spaghetti-stuffed giant meatball
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 1 hour, 35 mins
3 pounds ground beef
1/4 box spaghetti
1 jar marinara
1 cup plain bread crumbs
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup powdered Parmesan cheese
1/2 bunch fresh basil chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1. In a large bowl, add in ground beef.
Then add bread crumbs, eggs, garlic, Parmesan, cream, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
2. Blanch pasta according to label instructions.
Then toss with 1/2 jar marinara and remaining oregano.
3. Using a bowl with depth, line the bowl in 1 sheet of tin foil, followed by plastic wrap. This will serve as the base of the meatball mold.
4. Use the meatball mixture and form the bottom of the meatball by pressing into the sides of the bowl. The center should be hollow to leave room for the filling.
4. Add about 1 cup of pasta into the center.
Then carefully lift all for corners of the plastic wrap to the center creating a ball.
5. Carefully shape into a ball, and then gently place in baking dish.
Pro tip: When making the meatball, be sure to leave the sides somewhat thick, otherwise, the meatball may fall apart. This way, when you slice into it later, you'll reveal perfectly-cooked pasta that's just begging to be devoured.
6. Bake at 400°F for 30-45 minutes.
7. Once out of the oven, the meatball will be brown and juicy.
8. Have a blast slicing into it and watch the pasta ooze out.
9. Top with marinara sauce and garnish with basil to serve.
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove