Cooktop Cove: Watch how to make potato and bacon bake
Finding that perfect side dish to bring to a dinner party can be a tough task, especially when time is of the essence. You don't want a recipe that requires you to be in the kitchen for hours, nor do you want one that requires a complex list of ingredients. You also have to factor in the amount of people that will be at the function.
So, what's a relatively cheap side dish that folks will enjoy and won't put a dent in your wallet? Fear not, partygoers, we have a recipe that fits your needs. It's a cheesy potato casserole.
Potato and bacon bake
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
3 lbs (1.5 kg) potatoes, peeled and halved (the short way)
1 lb (500 gr) bacon, diced
2.5 cups (500 gr) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 medium brown onion, sliced
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1/2 teaspoon pepper, plus more to taste
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup green onion, chopped
1. Parboil potatoes: Boil the potatoes partially (about 10 minutes) so the time they have to cook in the oven will be reduced. Drain water and let cool.
2. While the potatoes are boiling, sauté the diced bacon, onion and garlic until the bacon is browned and the onions soft. Remove bacon and onion into a bowl, but do not get rid of the grease in the pan.
3. When the potatoes have sufficiently cooled, carefully slice them into disks.
4. In the same pan used for cooking bacon and onion, melt butter. Mix in flour and salt, stirring constantly to avoid burning the flour. As soon as the flour is mixed in, begin pouring in the milk, still stirring. Continue to cook until slightly thick, then add 2 cups of cheese and pepper, stirring until melted. Remove from heat.
5. Spoon and spread some sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Make a single layer of potato. Sprinkle 1/2 of the bacon and onion mixture, then pour over half of the sauce. Then make a second layer of potato followed by the remaining bacon and onion mixture followed by more sauce. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
6. Place the dish into an oven preheated to 350° F (175° C) and bake for 45 minutes or until the top is bubbling and golden. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Top with chopped green onion. Salt and pepper to taste.
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove