Cooktop Cove: Learn how to make chicken pot pie casserole with this ridiculously simple trick
There's nothing more satisfying than coming home to a comfort meal. Chicken pot pie is an absolute classic, and the recipe below is the best. Imagine a warm, rich filling and a bit of flaky pastry with every bite. It's best to eat this hot out of the oven so the puffed pastry top doesn't get too soggy.
The classic recipe of chicken pot pie features chicken, peas, carrots, and potatoes, but in reality, you can substitute and add in your favorite vegetables. What are you waiting for? Get ready to impress guests and family members with the recipe below. The key secret is in the roux (see below on how to make).
Chicken pot pie casserole
Prep Time: 35 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr
Total Time: 1 hr, 35 mins
1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
2 pounds chicken breast boneless, skinless cut into 1 inch cubes
¼ teaspoon paprika
1¼ teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup carrots small diced
2 cups russet potatoes, peeled and small diced
3 tablespoons butter
5 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup flour
3½ cups milk
1 cans ready-made croissant dough
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Put a large sauté pan on medium high heat. Add in canola or vegetable oil. When oil becomes hot, add in chicken and season with paprika, pepper, and half the salt.
Adjust the heat as needed. Continue sautéing until chicken is golden brown and fully cooked. When chicken is fully cooked, place into a baking dish.
3. In the same pan chicken was cooked in, add in butter. Melt on medium low heat. Add in garlic. Toast for 1-2 minutes just until fragrant. Be careful not to burn.
4. When garlic is ready, add in flour. Continue to stir for 2-3 minutes to make a roux. Gradually whisk in milk, be sure there are no lumps.
Allow to simmer until it thickens (about 5-10 minutes) be sure to keep stirring to prevent burning on the bottom.
5. Add milk mixture on top of chicken in baking dish. Then add in peas, carrots, and potatoes. Mix well.
6. Unfold the croissant dough, keeping the two rectangular pieces intact by not separating the precut seams.
7. Place dough on top. Press the dough into the sides of the baking dish.
Cut a slit into each section for the steam to escape.
8. Bake in oven for 1 hour or until veggies are soft and dough is golden brown.
9. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Serve.
10. Tip: If crust starts to burn place a piece of foil on top then remove for the last 15 minutes.
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove