Cooktop Cove: Slice layers of pie crust with pizza cutter. 20 minutes later, you'll eat it all
Apple pie fries. Sounds odd, doesn't it? It did to me when I first heard of them, as I pictured apple pie filling piled onto French fries. But don't worry; there is not a potato in sight. Instead, as you'll see in the recipe below, these "fries" consist of applesauce that is simply spooned between two sheets of ready-made pie crust dough and then baked until crisp in the oven.
The recipe also calls for caramel sauce to be drizzled over the top of those delicious fries, but I've taken it one step further and actually put some of the caramel sauce right inside the fries. Because in my house, there's no such thing as too much caramel sauce.
Apple pie fries
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
1 package ready-made pie crusts, such as Pillsbury
2 tablespoons flour, for dusting
1 cup applesauce
3 tablespoons caramel sauce, plus more for drizzling
1/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Sprinkle the flour onto a work surface.
Unroll one pie crust onto the flour.
3. Spoon the applesauce onto the pie crust, using a spatula to smooth it out in an even layer all over the crust.
4. Drizzle 3 tablespoons caramel sauce over the applesauce.
5. Lay the second ready-made pie crust over the top.
6. Using a sharp knife or pastry cutter, cut the pie into long, thin fry shapes.
7. Transfer the fries to a greased baking sheet. Lightly beat the egg with about 2 tablespoons water, and brush the egg wash over each individual fry.
8. Combine the white sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Sprinkle this mixture generously over the fries.
9. Bake fries in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, until they are crisp and cooked through.
10. Remove from oven. Drizzle a bit more caramel sauce over the top.
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove