Cooktop Cove: Watch how to make chicken soup in slow cooker
Chicken soup is a classic you crave all year long. But instead of reaching for a can next time, try this super easy slow cooker recipe instead. It's packed with protein, fresh veggies, and the satisfaction that it's been steeping in your kitchen all day long.
The ingredients are household items, and you can let this soup cook all day long while you're at work - or whip it up in the afternoon before dinner.
6 chicken thighs whole, trimmed
1-lb (4 cups) gold potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cups celery, sliced
1 1/2 cups carrots, peeled and sliced
2 small brown onions, diced
2 cups kale, chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
8 cups (64 fl oz) of chicken broth
1-oz package French onion soup mix
fresh parmesan, grated (optional)
fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
french bread (optional)
1. Place potatoes in bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker.
2. Add celery, carrots, onion and garlic.
3. Mix soup mix with 2 cups of chicken broth to incorporate. Then pour all chicken broth into the slow cooker.
4. Place chicken thighs on top, making sure each piece is well covered with liquid.
5. Cover, cook on high 4 hours (or low 8 hours).
6. Remove chicken, shred.
7. Place back into slow cooker. Add chopped kale and cook for additional 30 min on low.
8. Serve with parmesan and parsley sprinkled on top with toasted and buttered french bread.
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove