Cooktop Cove: Watch how to make seasoned roast beef in a slow cooker
Eye round of beef is a fairly lean cut, perfect for this tasty recipe that makes the most of a mustard-and-herb coating that is caramelized in a hot pan to dial up the flavor even more. The cooking process couldn't be more simple, and this dish is perfect served up for a stress-free Sunday roast.
Use red wine to deglaze the pan if you have an open bottle; the alcohol will burn off during the browning process and leave a more complex, savory residue, adding even more taste to the finished dish.
3 pounds eye round roast of beef
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 fresh sprig rosemary, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
3 fresh srping thyme, leaves pulled from stems (or 1 teaspoon dried)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
3 cloves fresh garlic, crushed and chopped
3 large carrots, cut (about 2" long)
1 large onion, large chops
3 celery stalks, cut (about 2" long)
1/2 cup red wine (or water)
1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water
1. In a small bowl, mix olive oil, rosemary, thyme, mustard, salt, pepper, garlic, then rub onto dry roast making sure to get it well coated.
2. Add oil to a heated pan and then sear the seasoned beef over med-high heat about 4 min each side, until well seared.
3. Transfer meat into the slow cooker and add vegetables.
4. Add red wine to the skillet used for searing meat to deglaze. Scrape with a wooden spatula to make sure all the flavor is removed, then pour into the slow cooker.
5. Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours.
6. Remove roast and vegetables and let rest for 15 minutes.
7. While meat is resting, pour juices into a skillet. When it comes to a slow boil, whisk in dissolved cornstarch and continue to stir until thickened.
8. Serve roast cut with gravy poured on top.
Serve with your favorite vegetables and either roast or mashed potatoes; cut the beef fairly thinly and against the grain for the best flavor and tenderness. The fabulous gravy brings it all together beautifully, and don't forget a pot of mustard or horseradish sauce on the side for extra zip!
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove