Cooktop Cove: How to make sweet potato casserole with a citric twist
Few things rival the mouth-watering aromas of creamy sweet potatoes freshly steaming from the oven. When the whole house is teeming with sweet fragrances of brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and fresh ginger, it's clear that autumn has finally arrived. One of our favorite dishes to celebrate the coming season is the true classic of sweet potato casserole with marshmallows. This one, though, comes with a twist: orange juice, a citrusy twist.
This dish is sweet and savory and all-around delectable—the perfect indulgence for a crisp autumn evening in with the family!
- 4 pounds (1.8 kg) sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/3 cup (75 gr) sour cream
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
1. Preheat your oven to 375 F (190 C) and wash your sweet potatoes. Wrap them in foil and bake for 30 minutes. Check if they're tender by inserting a knife in the center of one. If not, check again after 10 minutes. (You can always boil them instead of baking - completely covered in water, simmer for 25-30 minutes, but since you're already going to use the oven, it's just an extra step you can skip). In any case, you want your sweet potatoes to be tender.
2. Let the sweet potatoes cool. Remove the peel and, in a big bowl, mash the sweet potatoes until smooth. Once they're mashed, add the rest of the ingredients except for the marshmallows. Taste and adjust the salt and spices, if needed.
3. Transfer the mixture to a medium size casserole, making sure you create an even layer. Add the marshmallows.
4. Bake for 20 minutes or until the marshmallows are golden. Serve warm.
TIP: If you're after a much denser, richer casserole, then substituting in cream cheese instead of the sour creme would thicken things up a bit. If you wanted a more spiced dish, adding a touch of ground cloves or allspice to the mix would not go amiss.
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove