Cooktop Cove: How to make cheesy chicken casserole with veggies (video)
A perfect casserole consists of brilliant fresh ingredients that are just as filling as they are delicious. A tasty protein such as chicken breast, a mouthwatering cheese and some satisfying carbohydrates to bulk things up a bit make for a wholesome family meal every time. This method is perfectly showcased in this fantastic, classic recipe for cheesy chicken casserole.
Usually, this freezer-friendly dish is made with boneless chicken, cheese slices, some kind of cream of soup and a stuffing mix. To turn it into a complete meal, we've added some chopped onions and frozen vegetables to make it easier. Of course, you can always substitute your favorite fresh veggies for the frozen ones.
Cheesy Chicken Casserole With Veggies
Prep time: 10 min
Total time: 1 hour
Serves: 6 to 8
5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1/2 red onion, small diced
1 14-ounce package frozen veggies
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
7 ounces stuffing mix
7 ounces cheddar cheese (or your favorite cheese), shredded
2 tablespoons dry basil
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the chicken cubes in a greased casserole dish.
2. Evenly spread onion over chicken. Add the frozen veggies, creating an even layer.
3. In a medium-size bowl, mix the cream of chicken soup, chicken broth and Dijon mustard. Pour over the chicken and veggies.
4. Cover the casserole with the stuffing mix. Sprinkle with basil and cheddar cheese.
5. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
Pro tip: If you have some leftover bacon, chop it and add it to the chicken for an extra touch of flavor.
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove