Cooktop Cove: After this, you will never make grilled cheese sandwiches the same way ever again
The secret to the perfect grilled cheese sandwich isn’t fancy artisan cheeses or ancient grain breads. The secret turns out to be stunningly simple. Keep reading and we will tell you how we do it.
First, don’t be stingy with the butter. This is no time for calorie counting. Your goal is the perfect grilled cheese sandwich, not a thinner waistline. Keep your heat on medium-low, and take your time cooking, three to four minutes per side. If the heat is higher, you risk burning the bread before the cheese inside melts.
As you see, the real secret to the perfect grilled cheese is slow frying. Get cooking and don't forget to print the recipe below!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
1 loaf sourdough country bread
1/2 cup sharp cheddar
1/2 cup mozzarella
1/2 cup Monterrey jack
2 cloves whole peeled garlic (optional)
1/3 stick butter
2 teaspoons olive oil
salt to taste
1. Slice bread into 6 half-inch pieces.
2. Melt butter and olive oil in pan and coat each side of bread.
3. Toast 1 side of 4 pieces and both sides of 2 pieces of bread till dark brown but not burnt.
Your slices should look like this:
4. Use the garlic to rub all over bread, using the crustiness of the bread to lightly grate the garlic. This is an optional step for all garlic lovers.
5. Mix cheeses in a bowl.
6. Evenly spread cheese on one piece of bread.
Lightly sprinkle with salt, top with another piece of bread.
Add cheese and salt again.
Top off with another piece of bread.
Toast until dark golden brown, and cheese is melted.
Pro Tip: If needed to help melt cheese, put 2 teaspoons of water in the pan and cover to let steam. Don't worry this won't make grilled cheese soggy, it'll just help melt the cheese.
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove