Cooktop Cove: How to make ham and mushroom lasagna (video)
We all know how successful an expertly made lasagna dinner can be, both for the family and for the wallet. This incredibly economical dish traditionally harnesses simple pasta, tomato sauce, white sauce and beef for a meal that offers the ultimate levels of comfort in the kitchen. The only issue with classic lasagna recipes is that they can contain prep-heavy instructions and leave you with more washing up than you can handle!
This incredible one-dish casserole is a playful take on the classic variation, using delicious chopped ham and creamy bechamel sauce, held together with savory vegetables and finished off with a mouthwatering crust of bubbling mozzarella cheese. This is a great recipe to whip up on short notice for any vegetarian guests (just omit the ham) or to make for the little ones to round off a busy day with a delicious treat for the taste buds.
Ham and Mushroom Lasagna
Prep time: 15 to 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour, 25 minutes
1/2 pound chopped ham
16 ounces bechamel sauce
1 cup milk
12 to 16 fresh (or no-boil) lasagna noodles
3 cups sliced white button or chestnut mushrooms
1 zucchini, thinly sliced
8 ounces pasta sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Handful of fresh basil leaves (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a casserole dish.
2. Place one-third of the chopped ham in the bottom of the casserole dish. Mix the bechamel sauce with the milk until blended. Use a wooden spoon to spread one-third of the bechamel mixture over the ham.
3. Place a layer of lasagna noodles on top of the bechamel. Cover the noodles with one-third of the mushrooms and sliced zucchini. Spoon a layer of tomato sauce over the vegetables and sprinkle with one-third of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
4. Repeat the layering steps two more times, in the following order: chopped ham, bechamel, lasagna noodles, mushrooms, zucchini, tomato sauce, mozzarella, Parmesan.
5. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the top and place the fresh basil leaves over the cheese. Cover the lasagna with foil and bake for 50 minutes, or until the noodles are tender. Remove the foil cook for another 35 minutes to allow the cheese to get some golden color. Add extra mozzarella cheese on top if you like!
Pro tip: Add some extra creaminess to the dish by substituting sour cream for the milk. Delicious!
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove