Cooktop Cove: How to make vegan creamy asparagus and lemon pasta (video)
There's nothing more decadent than a creamy pasta sauce. However, if you're vegan, you're more likely to stick with marinaras or pesto-based sauces to avoid all that dairy. Not anymore.
In this vegan recipe, we demonstrate how to make Creamy Asparagus & Lemon pasta with all of the mouther-watering deliciousness but none of the guilt!
Vegan creamy asparagus and lemon pasta
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and washed
1 lemon sliced (and the juice of ½ a lemon)
1 large onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons Earth Balance Vegan Butter (or use olive oil)
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups unsweetened almond milk
10 ounces bow tie pasta
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Add asparagus to a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Top with thin slices of lemon and bake for 20 minutes.
3. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add pasta. Cook according to pasta instructions.
4. In a large skillet, melt the vegan butter in with a tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent.
5. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. About 2 minutes.
6. Add flour stirring constantly and cook for 2 minutes.
7. Whisk in almond milk. Add Italian seasoning, garlic powder, cayenne, and another pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
8. Once asparagus is cooked, cut into thirds and add to the sauce along with the roasted lemon. *Hint: Don’t eat the lemon…this just adds flavor.
9. Squeeze lemon juice over the sauce and stir.
10. Drain pasta and add to the creamy sauce. Top with fresh basil and enjoy!
There you have it! Creamy Asparagus & Lemon pasta that's totally vegan! Make sure to share this recipe (and let us know if you try it at home!)
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove