Cooktop Cove: How to make vegan mushroom and potato stew (video)
Some days, nothing satisfies like a stew. Prepared correctly, a stew is a tantalizing blend of fresh flavors and differing textures coming together in a hot, satisfying bowl that will blow your socks off.
When including potatoes in a stew, it is important to use a "waxy" variety, which hold their shape when cooked. "Floury" potatoes are great for baking and mashing, but if used in a stew will quickly become mush. Examples of waxy potatoes are: new potatoes, red potatoes, fingerlings and Inca gold.
Be sure to watch the video below for guided visual instructions.
Vegan mushroom and potato stew
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
8 cherry tomatoes, chopped into small pieces
7 ounces (198.5 grams) mushrooms, diced into large chunks
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 pinch black pepper
10.5 ounces (297.7 grams) potatoes of a waxy variety, peeled and cut into half-inch (one centimeter) cubes
3/4 cup tomato sauce (about 5 ounces or 141.7 grams)
1 cup water
1/2 cup frozen peas
Salt to taste
1. In large pot over medium heat, combine a small amount of water with garlic, ginger and mustard seeds. Cook until water is boiling and garlic is translucent.
2. Add tomatoes and cook until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
3. Add mushrooms, paprika and pepper. Cooking another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Add the potatoes and stir to combine the ingredients.
5. Add the tomato sauce and the remaining water. Stir.
6. When the stew boils, turn heat to low and cover. Let it simmer for 15 minutes.
7. Add the peas and increase heat back to medium. Cook for 10 minutes.
For thicker stew, either cook for an additional five minutes to further reduce the liquid, or crush a few of the potatoes and allow the starch to thicken the sauce. Either method produces a tasty vegan stew with rich, earthy flavors.
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove