Cooktop Cove: Place halved tomatoes on a baking pan for a yummy delight that only takes 15 minutes
This tomato recipe isn't only easy and fast (just 20 minutes total!), it also is filling, delicious and the perfect healthy vegetarian appetizer or side dish. There are only a few calories per halved tomato, but that doesn't mean tomatoes don't have countless other great properties.
For instance, tomatoes are a great source of vitamin C and are known for being packed with antioxidants and having multiple benefits for heart health.
Pro tip: Add a few tablespoons of plain breadcrumbs to give some texture to this dish.
4 large tomatoes (use heirlooms if they're in season!)
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup powdered Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 garlic cloves, minced into a paste
1/2 teaspoon crushed chili pepper
1½ tablespoons olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Wash tomatoes and cut them in half. Place on a baking dish lined with parchment paper cut side up.
3. Season tomatoes with salt and pepper. Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
4. Evenly spread dry mixture on top of each tomato.
5. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, until juices just start to bubble but tomatoes still hold their shape.
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove