Cooktop Cove: How to make vegan fettuccine alfredo (video)
Vegan couple Lauren and John, the duo behind popular vegan food YouTube channel hot for food, have come up with a veganized fettuccine alfredo that is absolutely guilt-free. They've replaced dairy ingredients with cashews and vegetable stock while retaining the lovely flavors of white wine and mushrooms.
Watch hot for food's video below for complete visual instructions for preparing this delicious vegan delight.
Vegan fettuccine alfredo
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
14 ounces (400 grams) brown rice fettuccine noodles
1-1/2 cups cashews, soaked in water at least 3 hours
1 cup water
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup white onion, finely chopped
2 portobello mushroom caps, large, thinly sliced
4 cups cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine (or 1/2 cup vegetable stock + 1 teaspoon lemon juice)
2 tablespoons basil, fresh, finely chopped
1 teaspoon parsley, dried
4 cups baby spinach, fresh
1 cup vegetable stock
Vegan Parmesan cheese, to taste
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
1. Cook noodles to al dente in salted water. Rinse in cold water immediately to stop the cooking process and again just before adding them to the sauce.
2. Drain cashews from soaking water and rinse. Blend on high or in food processor with water, apple cider vinegar and lemon juice until very smooth.
3. Use a large pan over medium heat to cook onions in olive oil for about 2 minutes, until soft and aromatic.
4. Add mushrooms and cook for about 4 minutes, until cooked about halfway through and releasing moisture; then add garlic, salt and pepper and cook for another 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. When mushrooms have released all of their moisture, add white wine (or stock + lemon juice). Simmer for 7 minutes.
6. Reduce heat to medium low; stir in basil, parsley and spinach, then cook for another minute or two until spinach is wilted.
7. Stir in cashew cream and vegetable stock. Continue stirring for 3-4 minutes.
8. Add (freshly re-rinsed) noodles to the sauce and stir to coat completely. Stir for three minutes to thoroughly reheat noodles.
9. Serve immediately with vegan Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
Reheating tip: To reheat leftovers of this dish, put the pasta in a pan over medium heat. Stirring frequently, add vegetable stock a little at a time to thin the sauce.
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove