Cooktop Cove: How to make ground beef stroganoff (video)
Beef stroganoff is a classic in many households. Its hearty, warm flavors fill bellies and somehow soothe the soul. But it's not all that often that we have a nice tender sirloin lying around — or the time to cook it. The ground beef stroganoff recipe below is here to save your weeknights.
The following recipe is the ultimate weeknight budget version of this classic dish. All you need are some cabinet ingredients like onion, egg noodles and Worcestershire sauce alongside a fresh pack of ground beef. In less than 30 minutes, you have a wholesome meal that's fantastic hot or reheated for lunch the next day.
Ground beef stroganoff
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
1 tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, small diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
1 pound lean ground beef
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup beef broth
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup sour cream
12 ounces egg noodles, cooked according to package
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill (optional)
1. Melt butter in a large saute pan on medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until onions are tender.
2. Add mushrooms and saute for 5 to 7 minutes to allow mushrooms to release their liquid. Continue to cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
3. Add ground beef. Cook until beef is completely brown with no pink. Allow to simmer until all the liquid has evaporated, but do not drain oil.
4. Evenly sprinkle in flour and cook for another 3 minutes. Add beef broth and Worcestershire and mix well. Simmer for 6 to 8 minutes.
4. Turn off heat. Add sour cream and salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
2. Serve over cooked egg noodles, and enjoy!
Pro tip: If you don't have sour cream on hand, you can use Greek yogurt as a substitute.
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove