Cooktop Cove: Hate scrubbing that toilet? We've got the perfect solution for you
Let's be honest: Cleaning the toilet is the grossest chore in the house. Everyone hates it and probably does it a whole lot less than recommended. But what if cleaning the toilet didn't involve getting on your hands and knees to scrub it? That'd be ideal, right?
That's where these nifty little toilet bombs come in. It's the same concept as a bath bomb – the mixture foams up once it touches the water – disinfecting and cleaning all the unmentionable corners you'd rather not touch.
The best thing is these are homemade and cost practically nothing to make. A whole batch will last weeks. Plus, because they're so easy to use, you'll probably start cleaning your toilet weekly. Curious yet? Check out the simple video tutorial and check out the written instructions below.
- 1-1/2 cups baking soda
- 1/2 cup citric acid
- 30 drops lemon essential oil
- 30 drops lavender essential oil
- 30 drops peppermint essential oil
- Small amount water
1. Mix together all the ingredients except the water.
Put the baking soda in a bowl, and dump the citric acid in on top. As you mix, slowly pour in the essential oils and mix until well-combined. Add a bit of water so it all sticks together.
That's when you're going to transfer it to the ice cube tray to shape it, as shown above. Make sure to press down on the mixture so it gets the shape of the tray and all the ingredients stick together.
2. Let it sit overnight and store it.
Let the toilet bombs sit overnight so they keep their shape. After that, they'll be sturdy enough to toss in a mason jar until you need them.
When you're ready to use one of the homemade toilet bombs, simply place one in the toilet bowl and let it work its magic. After a few minutes, flush. The toilet will be squeaky clean and smell great too.
- Use your favorite essential oils. Other combinations that work are lemon and eucalyptus or orange and rosemary.
- If you want different scents, cut the recipe in half and do some with one combination of essential oils and another with your other favorites.
- Need to clean the tub? Fill it up with water and toss in a couple of these toilet bombs. (Same applies for kitchen and bathroom sinks).
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove