Cooktop Cove: Combine chicken breasts in slow cooker with garlic, lemon, and butter for a dinner everyone will love
It's a wonderful feeling having a big bowl or platter of chicken in the fridge, cooked and ready to go. It makes it so much more convenient to throw a little protein into a salad or a sandwich. Sometimes you can just gently reheat the whole entire thing and there's dinner. And although chicken isn't that difficult to make ahead, when you throw it into the slow cooker, as in the recipe below, it becomes even easier. Plus you get a delicious sauce.
If chicken breasts are all you have, take some precautions. Keep the bone in to help prevent the meat from overcooking. Take the skin off to keep the sauce from being too greasy. And only cook it for three hours on high. It will be scrumptious – almost like poached chicken breast. With that rich lemon butter sauce to go along with it, this chicken truly feels like something decadent.
Slow cooker lemon butter chicken
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 3 hrs
Total time: 3 hrs, 5 mins
4 chicken breasts, bone-in, skin removed
2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
4 tablespoons butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup heavy cream
Torn parsley leaves (optional)
1. Pat chicken breasts dry with a paper towel and season with Italian seasoning, salt and white pepper.
Place in a 6-quart slow cooker and place butter over top.
2. Sprinkle garlic pieces over the top of the chicken and squeeze lemon juice over them.
Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for two hours.
3. When chicken has been cooking for two hours, whisk cornstarch into the heavy cream. Pour into the slow cooker. Replace the lid and continue to cook for another hour on high.
4. When chicken has finished cooking, remove it from the slow cooker and shred entirely with two forks.
5. Place the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker to keep warm and get covered in sauce. Be sure not to accidentally add any bones into the slow cooker.
6. Spoon the chicken into a bowl or serving dish. You can garnish it with torn parsley.
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove