Cooktop Cove: How to make vegetarian cabbage salad
Cabbage is a delicious and hearty base for any salad, and this recipe is no different. In it, several varieties of cabbage are united with a slightly sweet dressing to make a colorful salad just right for a picnic or barbecue. The best part? It keeps very well.
In fact, one of the best ways to make this recipe really sing is to prepare it, at least in part, in advance. Assemble everything except for the herbs, and store it in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. Toss in the herbs to freshen it up just before serving.
Vegetarian cabbage salad
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
1 small head purple cabbage, cored and quartered
1/2 Savoy cabbage, cored
1/4 head green cabbage, cored
1/4 bunch kale, deribbed and cut into a chiffonade
3 scallions, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
Kernels of 2 cobs of raw corn, sliced off
1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
Juice of 1 lime
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup chopped chives
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. Using the grater attachment on a food processor, grate the purple cabbage.
2. Then grate the savoy cabbage and green cabbage.
3. Toss together in a bowl with the kale, scallions, red bell pepper, corn and jalapeño.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, honey and mustard. Whisk in the vinegar and lime juice.
5. Drizzle the olive oil into the bowl, whisking all the while to emulsify. Season with the salt and pepper.
6. Toss the dressing with the salad and mix well to coat. Use your hands to massage the dressing into the cabbage.
7. Chill the salad for 30 minutes or up to overnight, or simply add the herbs, toss once more and serve immediately.
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove