Cooktop Cove: How to make low-carb cabbage soup
Cabbage soup might not look beautiful or seem fancy, but oh boy does it taste delicious. When you simmer the cabbage together with flavorful sausage and spicy green chilies, something magical happens. Cabbage becomes more than just a coleslaw ingredient – it becomes the star of the show. The recipe below totally delivers a comforting meal in a low-carb, Keto-friendly package.
The best way to make this soup really stand out is to make the chicken broth. Chicken broth is preferred to beef broth because it doesn't overpower the delicate flavors of the cabbage. You can use store-bought broth (or bouillon cubes and water) but you'll notice a difference when you're using the homemade stuff.
Low carb cabbage soup
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
1 pound ground turkey sausage
1 yellow onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 stalk celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 head green cabbage, chopped into large pieces
4 cups chicken broth
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1. In a large pot, heat the sausage over medium-high heat. Cook until the sausage is just browned, about 5 minutes.
2. Remove the cooked sausage to a small bowl and set aside.
3. Add the onion, bell pepper and celery to the pot and cook until it's softened, about 10 minutes.
4. Add the garlic and chopped cabbage and cook until the cabbage is slightly wilted, about 2 minutes.
5. Add the cooked sausage back to the pot along with the chicken broth, green chilies and diced tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
6. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove