Cooktop Cove: How to power steam
The idea of power steaming is to cook the inside of a vegetable while charring the outside. This video demonstrates how to power steam broccolini, which is similar to broccoli but has smaller florets and longer, thinner stems.
A little lemon juice and carefully selected oil enhance the vegetable's flavor. By using the oil, you double up on cooking the veggie by steaming and stir-frying it. Canola, sunflower seed and avocado oil are high-heat oils, so watch out for oil pops.
- Canola oil, sunflower seed oil or avocado oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
1. Heat the pan on medium-low heat. Carefully pour in approximately 2 tablespoons of the chosen oil. Spread or swirl it around the pan.
2. When you feel heat radiating from the inner bottom of the pan, add the broccolini. Season the spears with salt and pepper.
3. Saute the broccolini until the outside is lightly charred.
4. Add a few tablespoons of water and season again with salt and pepper if desired. Place the lid on the pan.
5. Add a splash of lemon juice and steam to the desired texture.
6. Plate the broccolini and drizzle with olive oil.
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove