Cooktop Cove: Layer Twinkies in casserole dish & cook up the most stunning dessert
This wacky cake is a twist on strawberry shortcake and strawberry cheesecake combined. And did I mention that it is no-bake? You know what that means: So easy! Oh, and did I also mention that it has a layer of Twinkies as the base? Ohhhh yeah. Bring it on. This is going to be your new favorite summertime dessert.
The cake layer here is literally just Twinkies, taken out of their packages and lined up in a baking dish. Next comes a no-bake cheesecake filling made of cream cheese, strawberries, sugar, vanilla, and whipped cream. Finally, a layer of sweetened fresh strawberries and a whipped cream topping. Tell me you’re not rushing into your kitchen to make this right now.
Twinkie Strawberry Cheesecake Shortcake
Prep Time: 15 mins, plus 4 hrs to chill
Total Time: 4 hrs, 15 mins
For the cake layer:
18 Twinkies, unwrapped
¼ cup orange juice
For the cheesecake filling:
Two (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 ¼ cup thinly sliced strawberries
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup whipped cream or whipped topping
For the topping:
2 cups quartered strawberries
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 cups whipped cream or whipped topping
1. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Arrange the Twinkies in a single layer in two rows of eight.
Split the remaining two Twinkies in half lengthwise, and use the pieces to fill the space between the two rows.
3. Pour the orange juice over the Twinkies.
4. To make the cheesecake filling, in a food processor or blender, combine the cream cheese, sugar, strawberries and vanilla and process until smooth.
5. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and gently fold in ½ cup of the whipped cream. Add the remaining ½ cup of whipped cream and gently fold in.
6. Pour mixture over Twinkies. Cover and refrigerate until firm, at least four hours.
7. To make the topping, toss the quartered strawberries in a bowl with the 2 tablespoons of sugar, and let it stand for about 20 minutes.
8. After time is up, take cake out of fridge. Dollop whip cream over cake. Spread until smooth.
Scatter the berries over the top of the cake.
Cut into rectangles to serve. Serve chilled.
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove