Cooktop Cove: This Russian-inspired casserole will convert even cabbage-haters
Winter vegetables might not seem like the snazziest of the bunch. When compared with bright summer tomatoes and zucchini or sweet autumn squash and sweet potatoes, how could cabbage really stand a chance? Luckily, with a bit of love, that all changes. The recipe that follows shows off the full potential of this winter crucifer.
Inspired by Russian cabbage pie, for this recipe, cabbage and onion are first caramelized in butter until rich and sweet before being layered with a sour cream batter. The resulting casserole is homey and warming – the perfect comfort food treat for any cold winter's evening.
Cabbage pie casserole
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr, 30 mins
Total Time: 1 hr, 45 mins
3 tablespoons butter
1 medium head cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
2 onions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
4 tablespoons water, as needed
4 eggs, divided
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 1/4 cups self-rising flour
1 tablespoon chopped dill
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
2. Melt the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat.
3. Add the onion, and cook for a minute or two, stirring often.
4. Add the cabbage and toss with the onion.
5. Season with sugar and salt, and cook, stirring frequently. If the mixture starts to stick or burn, add water by the tablespoonful and reduce the heat.
6. Cook until the cabbage and onion are wilted and browned, about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
7. In a mixing bowl, combine 3 eggs, the sour cream and the mayonnaise.
Whisk well, and fold in the flour.
Stir until just combined.
Put the cabbage mixture into a large mixing bowl, and add the remaining egg and dill.
Stir to mix well.
8. Grease a 9-inch square casserole dish.
9. Spread about half of the sour cream mixture in an even layer in the casserole dish.
Top with the cabbage mixture.
10. Finish with the remaining sour cream mixture, spreading out evenly.
11. Bake 45 minutes, until golden brown.
12. Serve warm.
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove