Cooktop Cove: This pork chop casserole is a delicious one-dish main
Pork chops and potatoes get a gourmet makeover in this casserole. A base of cream-infused potatoes and onions is topped with Dijon mustard-coated pork chops and a Gruyère cheese and breadcrumb topping. Bake for just 30 minutes, and the recipe below will reveal itself to be something truly special.
If alpine Gruyère isn't your favorite, other cheeses can certainly take its place. Try Swiss cheese for something a bit more mellow, or blue cheese for something even funkier. Add your favorite herbs and spices along with — or instead of — the mustard to give this recipe a unique flair.
Creamy pork chop potato casserole
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr
Total Time: 1 hr, 10 mins
2 cups heavy cream
3 large potatoes, diced
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, peeled
1 ½ cups Gruyere cheese, grated
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
6 boneless pork chops
¼ cup breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon melted butter
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
2. Heat the cream in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add the onions, potatoes and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a simmer.
Cook until potatoes are tender.
3. Drain the potatoes and onions through a colander set over a bowl to reserve the cream. Remove and discard the garlic clove.
4. Transfer the potatoes to a greased 9-by-13-inch casserole dish.
Sprinkle with half of the cheese, and drizzle with 1 cup of the reserved cream. Discard the rest.
5. Combine the olive oil and mustard in a bowl.
Brush the pork chops with the mustard mixture on all sides, and season with salt and pepper.
Arrange in an even layer over the potatoes.
Top with the remaining cheese.
6. Combine the butter and breadcrumbs in a small bowl.
Sprinkle over the top of the cheese.
7. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes, then uncover and bake for 15 more minutes.
Admire the creaminess!
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove